By Johnny Bevers
Ever wonder why bananas are good for you? Bananas have several health benefits and only a few negatives. Unfortunately some people are allergic to bananas and that’s really the only negative. The benefits are many. First, can really help with your mood as they contain tryptophan and 30% of your days vitamin B6. This helps reduce stress anxiety and depression in almost everyone who consumes bananas because tryptophan encourages production of serotonin. In addition to getting you in the right mood bananas also produce the following results.
Benefits of Bananas
- Bananas help control high blood pressure. This is because bananas are packed with almost 400 mg of potassium which is known to help with high blood pressure.
- Bananas help to level out your blood sugar. The B6 found in bananas helps the body to even out the blood glucose highs and lows.
- Bananas are packed with complex carbohydrates helping you have sustained amounts of energy. The potassium will keep you going longer during heavy workouts.
- Bananas help you sleep better. This is because the tryptophan found in bananas contains an amino acid that also helps you sleep.
Health Risks Of Bananas
I only know one major health risk that is associated with bananas. Those who are allergic to latex may experiencing a negative allergic reaction to bananas. Some healthcare providers call this “latex sensitive.” Most people know whether or not they are latex sensitive if they’ve ever slept on latex sheets. For these folks, sleeping on latex sheets may have caused a rash outbreak on their skin. Likewise, bananas may cause an outbreak in the mouth, swelling, or severe itching in the throat. If you experience any of the symptoms you should not eat bananas.
A Few Great Ideas For Eating Bananas
- Slice a banana and place it in a Ziploc bag. Then, freeze the sliced banana and use it later in a fruit smoothie.
- Mix mashed bananas in with your pancake batter to make instant banana pancakes.
- Quick and easy banana bread: Take old brown bananas and use them to make an incredible banana bread. Simply take one stick of butter room temperature , 1 cup of sugar, a half teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, a 1/2 a cup of all-purpose flour sifted, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, and three ripe bananas (mashed.) Pre-heat your oven to to 350°, grease a small loaf pan. Combine the above ingredients with a mixer in a mixing bowl , and pour the batter into the prepared pan. Take the mixture in the baking pan, place it in the pre-heated oven, and bake it for 50 minutes.
How To Store And Ripen Your Bananas
If you happen to buy green bananas, simply leave them at room temperature and allow them to ripen. If you need them to ripen at a faster, try placing them in a brown paper bag at room temperature. This will speed the ripening process so you can each of bananas a little quicker. Now, if you want your bananas to last a little longer, try placing them in the refrigerator for up to 3 to 5 days. The bananas may turn a little brown but the fruit will not be impacted, so don’t be afraid.
At the end of the day, bananas are chocked full of complex carbohydrates and are very beneficial to your health. They give you a quick jolt of energy, will get you through a challenging workout, stabilize your mood, and fill you up. They only contain between 100 and 200 calories on average, so they won’t make you fat anytime soon, but be sure to eat them in moderation and burn them off during exercise. Like they say, too much of anything is good for you.