Can horses eat chocolate? Find out now!

Can horses eat chocolate?

If you’re wondering whether or not it’s ok to feed your horse chocolate, you’ve come to the right place! It’s a common misconception that chocolate is a healthy snack for horses. Chocolate can (in fact) be very poisonous when horses eat too much of it. Now, it’s time for you to find out why.

Why chocolate is bad for horses

Chocolate is a sweet, brown food made from cacao beans. It is usually eaten as a dessert or snack. Although chocolate is enjoyed by many people, horses cannot digest it properly. This is because chocolate contains a substance called Theobromine.

Theobromine is a chemical that is found in all chocolate products. It is also present in other foods such as coffee, tea, and cola drinks. Theobromine is toxic to horses and can cause serious health problems. When horses eat chocolate, the Theobromine in the chocolate will start to break down the horse’s red blood cells. This can lead to anemia, which is a condition where there are not enough red blood cells in the body for the proper functioning of the horse’s physiological processes. Anemia can cause horses to become weak and tired, and it can even be fatal.

In addition to causing anemia, Theobromine can cause heart problems in horses. It makes the heart beat faster and can lead to chest pain. Theobromine can also cause seizures in horses, and it is sometimes used, in minimum quantities, as a drug to treat seizures.

So why do horses have to be careful around chocolate? The answer lies in your horse’s digestive system. Horses have a different way of digesting food than people do. The stomach acids in people can break down the Theobromine in chocolate, but the stomach acids in horses are not able to do this. This means that the Theobromine stays in the horse’s body for longer and can cause more damage.

What will happen if a horse eats chocolate?

Horses have sensitive digestive systems. When horses eat chocolate, the cacao (with Theobromine) can stay in their system for up to three days undigested. This can cause serious harm and create a variety of health problems, including:

– Diarrhea

– Vomiting

– Abdominal pain and internal bleeding

– Dehydration

– Heart arrhythmias

– Seizures

Theobromine, coupled with the caffeine found in chocolate, can cause an increase in heart rate and can be fatal to horses in high enough doses.

How much chocolate can a horse eat before it becomes a problem?

The simple answer is, not much.

As little as 0.13 ounces of chocolate per pound of a horse’s body weight can be enough to cause problems. For a 1200-pound horse, that’s only about four ounces of chocolate – not much more than a standard Hershey’s milk chocolate bar. A typical chocolate bar can contain anywhere from 50-450 milligrams of Theobromine, while just one ounce of Baker’s chocolate contains over 700 milligrams! That means that even a small amount of chocolate can be dangerous to horses. And, it can take as little as three hours for Theobromine to start causing problems in horses.

So, what happens if a horse eats chocolate?

The first signs of toxicity can appear within three to six hours and can include restlessness, increased urination, and an irregular heartbeat. If the toxicity is severe enough, it can lead to tremors, seizures, and even death.

Fortunately, there is an easy way to prevent chocolate toxicity in horses – don’t give them chocolate!

Healthy alternatives to chocolate

There are plenty of other horse-safe snacks out there that can be used as treats. If you’re looking for a chocolate fix, try one of these alternatives:

Horse Cookies: These are specially made cookies that are safe for horses to eat. They often contain molasses or other sweeteners that can give them a chocolate-like flavor. Mrs. Pastures Cookies for horses is a premium brand for horses to eat.

Carrots: Horse owners can offer a classic horse treat, carrots are healthy and delicious. They can even be dipped in a substitute sugar-based sauce if you’re looking for a way to give your horse a sugar fix without actually eating chocolate. Carrots are also high in beta-carotene, which is beneficial for the eyesight of horses. A nutritional low sugar alternative to fresh carrots is Nutri -Good low sugar Carrot and Anise horse snax.

Apples: Another classic horse treat, apples are not only a delicious treat, but they are also a safe and healthy alternative to chocolate. Apples are a great source of fiber and vitamin C, both of which are essential for horses. Alternatives to fresh fruit for horses include Purina Apple and Oat treats and Manna Pro Horse Apple Wafers.

All of these snack alternatives are healthy and nutritious options for horses. So, next time you’re looking for a healthy horse snack, be sure to try one of these alternatives instead of chocolate! Expert advice: Always check with your veterinarian before feeding your horse anything. Especially, when you’re unsure of it.

Remember, chocolate is poisonous to horses, so (again), if you suspect that your horse has eaten chocolate, contact your veterinarian immediately. With proper treatment, most horses can recover from chocolate toxicity without any long-term effects. However, it’s always better to be safe than sorry! Our message: Make sure to keep chocolate out of reach of your horse, and feed your horse cookies or other nutritious foods instead.


Question: Does white chocolate affect horses in the same way dark chocolate does?

Answer: No, white chocolate contains a significantly lower amount of Theobromine than dark chocolate. There’s only about 0.25MG of Theobromine per ounce in white chocolate, while dark chocolate can deliver large doses of Theobromine–as much as 450MG per ounce. While white chocolate could be given to your horse in small quantities, it’s probably best not to.

Question: My horse ate a small amount of chocolate. Will he be okay?

Answer: It depends on how much chocolate your horse ate and how much he weighs. A rule of thumb is that horses can tolerate 0.04 ounces per pound of body weight without any adverse effects. So, if your horse ate two ounces of chocolate and he weighs 1000 pounds, he’s probably going to be just fine. However, if your horse ate four ounces of chocolate and he only weighs 500 pounds, he might start to show some signs of toxicity and metabolic derangement.

Question: What are the symptoms of chocolate poisoning in horses?

Answer: The symptoms of chocolate poisoning in horses include restlessness, hyperactivity, increased heart rate and blood pressure, sweating, increased urination, diarrhea, and muscle tremors. If your horse exhibits any of these symptoms, call your veterinarian immediately.

Question: Is there an antidote for chocolate poisoning in horses?

Answer: There is no specific antidote for chocolate poisoning in horses. Treatment will be based on the severity of the symptoms and will generally involve supportive care. This can include administering IV fluids to prevent dehydration, controlling seizures with medication, and monitoring the heart with an EKG. In more severe cases, horses may need to be hospitalized for several days.

Hopefully, we’ve given you a thorough answer to the question: Can horses eat chocolate? Chocolate should not be a part of your horse’s natural diet, but if you insist on giving them a little chocolate, please stay away from raw chocolate (or dark chocolate). White chocolate isn’t as bad, but remember, your horse’s digestive tract isn’t designed to digest chocolate very well. Most horse lovers know about the dangers of feeding their horse chocolate and will likely stay away from it to protect their horse’s health.

READ | If boots could talk